The Healing Power of Storytelling in Community | Mental Health Monday
With Meghann Perry + Mary Strong
Monday, September 27 @ 11:00 am PST
The Healing Power of Storytelling in Community
In this presentation, Meghann Perry will help us to:
- Better understand the healing power of storytelling and what can happen when stories are told in safe spaces
- Explore the use of storytelling in both the personal and community-wide healing process
- Learn how the process works within the context of Recovery Storytelling (which utilizes the art form of live, personal narrative storytelling to unlock us from our single, self-limiting “Recovery Story.”)
- Look at how this work can be applied to much more than recovery from substances, and how it creates and perpetuates strong ties to ourselves and our communities.
We will also be joined by Mary Strong, co-creator, volunteer, and participant of the yOUR story speaker series soon to be hosted by the SHE RECOVERS Foundation.
Join us LIVE for a Q & A session following the presentation.
ABOUT MEGHANN PERRY
Meghann Perry, CARC, RCP, is a Creator, Educator, Storyteller, Teaching Artist, Facilitator and Recovery Coach Professional. She is a CCAR Recovery Coach Academy facilitator and the creator of the Recovery Storytelling workshop series, as well as many other unique workshops that combine the art and science of recovery coaching with the performing arts, creating transformational experiences that bring resilience, healing, connection, and empowerment to youth and adults from all walks of life. She is the Education Theatre Consultant for 2nd Act, creating theater and storytelling experiences grounded in the addiction/recovery experience, community engagement, and social justice. When she’s not coaching, creating or teaching, you’ll most likely find her in the woods.
CONNECT WITH MEGHANN
- Website: meghannperry.com
- Recovery Storytelling Community on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/recoverystorytelling
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/meghann.perry.5/
- CCAR Recovery Storytelling Slams: https://ccar.us/events/p-e-a-r-l-s-story-slams/
ABOUT MARY STRONG
Mary Strong is a former elementary school teacher who currently works as the Educational Liaison for a foster care agency. She is also a mother of two energetic, wonderful toddlers, a wife, a SheRecovers volunteer and a woman in long term recovery. Her patchwork of recovery includes her faith in God, SHE RECOVERS, twelve step work, a recovery coach, counseling, and seeking healthy pathways towards healing instead of numbing. Mary firmly believes in the power of connection in recovery and the need to share our stories when we are ready in order to bring light to and heal the parts of us that we have kept in the dark for so long. Those things, along with the feedback from many other people in the recovery community, led her to create HerStory which in now transitiong to the yOURstory space.
We believe that when women heal, families heal, and communities do too.
The SHE RECOVERS Foundation Weekly #MentalHealthMonday Educational Series is composed of hour-long, live, recovery-focused educational sessions featuring today’s leaders in women’s wellness, mental health, and addiction recovery.
All #MentalHealthMonday sessions are broadcasted on Facebook and added to our Youtube Channel for future viewing.
With Great Thanks
This series is made possible by Alkermes.
The SHE RECOVERS Foundation was awarded funding in 2021 as part of the Alkermes Inspiration Grants® program to re-launch #MentalHealthMonday in the fall of 2021. This critical grant support will help us to continue delivering our innovative #MentalHealthMonday Educational series and better meet the increasingly diverse needs of our growing community. We are humbled, grateful, and invigorated by this honor.